Subject: Re: Try again, itojun, patches need more work.
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Henning Brauer <hb-netbsd-tech-net@bsws.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/01/2003 22:57:20
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:11:56PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> Why doesn't pftag_unref() do the deletion when the ref count becomes
> 0 anyway ?  Looking at pftag_purge(), there should be no need for it.

after revisting the code in question I remembered why - pf_tag_purge()
traversed the list from the end and could prevent ID space
fragmentation in the typical cases.

However, inspired by this discussion, I changed the ID allocator, and
it does this job now, even better and last not least faster than
before. pf_tag_purge() is gone.

Thanks for the inspiration ;-)

hb@bsws.de - henning@openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)