Subject: Re: PF for netbsd
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/28/2003 20:54:34
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>>	i really hope this atmosphere to change.  by working on KAME project
>>	which is trying to create a good code that benefits all BSDs) i'm
>>	trying to do so.  KAME have made some improvements which needs PF (at
>>	this moment), and i'm asking for permission to commit
>>	PF-for-netbsd-current, as it is too painful to maintain local patch
>>	myself (as said earlier i work on multiple platforms, current and
>>	release w/kame, in parallel).
>

> 	also note that i'm not the only one who want PF on netbsd.
> 	(including Joel Wilsson)
>
> itojun

Itojun, I just want to make sure I understand one point.

If you import PF-for-netbsd-current (and updated ALTQ), we will be able
to use IP-Filter for packet filtering _concurrently_ with PF for
classifying traffic for ALTQ?

So theoretically all you're really proposing is to replace the existing
ALTQ classifier with PF?  The fact that PF also happens to be capable of
filtering packets, not just classifying / tagging, shouldn't really
matter for that purpose.

As a NetBSD user I would like to see PF brought in with the updated
ALTQ.  Being able to use IPF-like syntax for ALTQ would be nice.

-Andrew