Subject: Re: PF for netbsd
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/28/2003 21:14:11
On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 10:01:01AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >Indeed, you're one of the only people to be found who has managed to
> >maintain any sort of tenure in both camps.
>
> 	no.  do not spread lies, ok?

That's some very charged language you're using; I think you owe me
an apology.

I note that you trouble yourself only to contest my statement that
you're "one of the only people to be found who has managed to maintain
any sort of tenure in both camps"; I suppose I (and the peanut gallery)
are to conclude that you can't or won't take issue with the principal
points of my message:  that our project is home to a number of developers
who have been either denied developer status in the OpenBSD project or
forcibly expelled from the OpenBSD project, and that in some cases that
expulsion was, in fact, quite simply and directly because they refused
to end their association with NetBSD.

As to your diff run over the two projects' password files, I'll note
that of hundreds of developers you only managed to turn up nine
duplicates-by-username, and of those:

	* Two are individuals who have identified themselves as
	  having been expelled from the OpenBSD project; one may
	  reasonably assume that their accounts exist there only
	  as placeholders for their files, which is a standard
	  Unix administrative technique, as I'm sure you know.

	* A number of others appear to share a *username* but to be
	  highly likely to not actually be the same individual.

	* You also misidentified some machine accounts (e.g.
	  "daemon" as belonging to humans, but I didn't count
	  those in my figure of nine-that-is-probably-actually-
	  seven-or-less.

If you're going to go throwing around invective like "spread lies"
just because I happened to say something that makes it, perhaps, a
little less likely that you'll get what you want, I think you might
at least want to be able to back it up with better evidence than
you would seem to have.

On the other hand, you could stop reacting in such a childish,
emotional fashion when others happen to not agree with you, and
actually consider and discuss what they have to say instead of
accusing them of propagandizing.  It is an incontrovertable fact
that participating in OpenBSD development is simply not an option
for quite a few NetBSD developers, because they have been denied
the opportunity to do so or have been expelled forcibly from the
OpenBSD project.  Consequently, the suggestion that NetBSD should
rip out a major piece of infrastructure and replace it with one
for which meaningful development participation requires OpenBSD
development status (as you yourself said) seems like a very poor
idea to say the least.

Thor