Subject: Re: PF for netbsd
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/2003 16:06:53
>I would like to state for the record that I support removing duplicated
>packet classification engines.  The needs of a firewall, traffic
>shaper, and IPsec SPD/SAD engine are all basically the same.

>Of course, it would be nice if everything used BPF as the actual
>matching engine, [...]

No, it is *not* be a good idea.  Ther are situations where using BPF
is a really really *bad* idea.

Consider, for example, a host with an aggregate of a gigabit or so; of
which some very small fraction requires IPsec transforms.  Next
example is a system with a fast (60 Mbyte or so) IPsec accelerator
engine. Any BPF-like (bytecode interpreter) approach to that kind of
packet classification rate is completely unacceptable.