Subject: Re: BIND 8.3.5
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2003 10:46:25
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >What is so special about BIND8's get*by*() functions over ours?
> >AFAICT, nothing.  According to SUSv3, gethostbyname() (et al) don't
> >have to be reentrant.
>
> 	i'm against of duplication of work, it's a waste of time
> 	(and hate the NIH attitude).

I see this thread has gotten a bit spicy already. I'll see if I can ask
some questions in a bland manner. :-)

I think the concern I'm hearing about the IRS implementation is not that
it wasn't invented here, but that it does something we already do. So why
should we switch? There may be very good reasons to switch, but I don't
think they have been given. "We should use it because BIND uses it," is as
wrong as "We should not use it because we've always used nsswitch."

So what advantages are there if IRS over nsswitch? I realize there's the
definite BIND integration issue of not haveing to make BIND work with
nsswitch. What else?

Take care,

Bill