Subject: Re: RFC2292 -> RFC3542
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2003 19:34:01
    Date:        Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

  | Surely we could at least limit the damage to people who want to build
  | software written to 2292 to something like -DIPV6_RFC2292 (which would
  | then make everything switch back to 2292's API)?

Itojun is absolutely right on this one - just ditch all the 2292 stuff
completely.

  | That's sure a lot better (for almost all values of "better") than
  | telling people with N-zillion-line third-party programs

There are probably a dozen programs, anywhere, that use the advanced API.

No run of the mill application is going to go anywhere near it.  Have you
read either version?   This is the part that specifies stuff that was never
specified anywhere for IPv4 (how apps add extra headers, or get at the
extra headers in packets that arrived, raw sockets, PMTUD for UDP, ...)

Itojun - just do as you proposed, ditch 2292 and update to 3542 (and it
is truly nice to finally see the revision published).

kre