Subject: Re: BIND 8.3.5
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2003 20:06:02
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:03:03PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
  | >> 	and getaddrinfo/getnameinfo are the obvious ones who need *hostent/NIS
  | >> 	backend and have to be thread safe.
  | >It seems getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo() on FreeBSD are already thread-safe
  | >(by using giant lock, made by Ume-san on Oct 6, 2002), aren't they?
  |
  | 	bzzt.  it's not enough.  it calls functions that are not thread safe.
  | 	(if everyone calls getaddrinfo and getaddrinfo only, it's okay, but
  | 	in reality that's a crazy assumption)

(i assume you meant "if everyone calls getaddrinfo and gethostinfo only")

any threaded software that calls gethostbyname() or getaddrbyname()
(et al) should expect that those functions are not, and never have to
be thread safe.

and NetBSD currently does not have gethostbyname_r()...

so, besides our getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo(), which existing
non-thread-safe functions need to be?