Subject: Re: BIND 8.3.5
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/03/2003 19:00:33
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:43:51PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
  | >What is wrong with:
  | >    a)	upgrading res_*() to BIND8 "reentrant safe" versions
  | >    b)	grabbing the appropriate get{pw,gr}*_r() functions and
  | >	nsswitch reentrancy fixes from FreeBSD
  | >?
  |
  | 	well, freebsd *hostent (gethostbyht.c) does not look thread safe to me.
  | 	NIS logic too.  do you have time to work on these?

gethostent() does not have to be thread safe:
	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xns/endhostent.html

  | >What is so special about BIND8's get*by*() functions over ours?
  | >AFAICT, nothing.  According to SUSv3, gethostbyname() (et al) don't
  | >have to be reentrant.
  |
  | 	i'm against of duplication of work, it's a waste of time
  | 	(and hate the NIH attitude).

What NIH attitude?  You're advocating removing code that we already have
and replacing it with code that is not source (API) or binary (ABI)
compatible with previous NetBSD code.  That is not acceptable for NetBSD.