Subject: Re: pf from OpenBSD 3.3 as LKM for NetBSD 1.6.1
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/31/2003 22:19:52
On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 08:41  PM, Martin Husemann wrote:
>On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 01:44:40AM +0200, Joel Wilsson wrote:
>>>immature? that is funny ;-)
>>
>>6 months ago I at least found it understandable (even if I didn't
>agree), but not any more.
>
>Could you explain what you both are talking about?
>
>I've never seen plans to import PF into NetBSD, nor rejections of such plans
>because of it being "immature". I might have missed the secret cabal, but
>then I've been told there is no secret cabal.

Back in January, I asked core@netbsd if they wanted pf in the tree or not.
The reply I eventually got was this:
"We have been following the commits of pf on the OpenBSD tree and
we don't think that it is mature enough to include it in the NetBSD
base at this time. On the other hand, we think that the best course
of action is to maintain it as a separate LKM, because it can be
a useful alternative to ipf. Many thanks for porting it and offering
to maintain it as an lkm."

I didn't mean to keep this as some secret or anything, and I don't
core did either. I don't know the procedure (if there is one) for
discussing things like this, so I just sent a mail to core@netbsd.org.
Perhaps the discussion should have been held on a public mailing
list instead, but since core didn't move it there... I don't know.

It's not too late to discuss it further (in fact I think it's time to do
so, but I'm not even a NetBSD committer and have little to say).

//joelw