Subject: Re: CAPI for BSD
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/28/2003 13:33:14
Ahhh. This probably comes under the heading of what used to be
called Computer-Telephony Integration (CTI), a few years ago. About
the time that Sun & SGI and others put built-in ISDN interfaces in
their workstations.

The telephone companies in the USA never priced ISDN calls to match
POTS calls, so ISDN was never accepted by the market in the USA.
Which is why the only RJ-45 connector on a modern computer is for
Ethernet.

If we do some CAPI support, we should also see if we can't make it
work on top of a VoIP implementation, also. Why not bypass the
TelCos when we can?

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>