Subject: Re: strip (Metricom) and dhclient
To: David <abs@mono.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/22/2003 11:20:43
>        Should dhclient really be asking for an address on strip
>        interfaces? - they are not supposed to support IFF_BROADCAST.

No. strip is a multi-access non-broadcast device, dhclient should ignore it.
You can tell anyone who asked that i said so.

Two Stanford groups toyed with non-broadcast multi-drop ``address
servers''; those groups dont use Metricom anymore afaik, and Metricom
didn't know of anyone else using "star mode".

I'm not sure strip is worth keeping, aside from people who have radios
and use them as point-to-point devices.