Subject: Re: PPP Stac LZS decompressor for NetBSD 1.6
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/19/2003 21:38:47
On 11 Apr 2003, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> writes:
> > Alas there is patent nonsense involved, so I doubt NetBSD can incorporate
> > this (sigh). I'm happy to send-pr it though, if it would stay in the
> > database..?
>
> Maybe you could turn it into a loadable module and we could pkgsrc it?

Ok module loading was already there, but I've made a package of it and
submitted that.. I wasnt sure of the best way to handle it, so the package
has patches for pppd (negotiation) and the lkm part, and the ppp-lzs.c
file is fetched from my webpage as that would be the contentious part.
Hopefully `they' wont object or else I'll have to find some other way..

in this vein, since I had so much fun writing the above, I also started on
a Predictor decompressor since my ISP was offering it - I think its just
about there, but said ISP turned CCP off (they are not saying why) a month
ago and I have yet to find another that offers predictor (1 or 2) to test
it against - if anybody wants to look at that in the meantime, please
check

   http://homepages.rya-online.net/plunky/predictor.html

and get back to me.. there may be some problems especially in the error
handling (rfc1978 differs from rfc1962 as to the details, cant really see
why) - I think the predictor algorithm is also covered by patents, but I
dont know who the patent holder would be or if they would object - the
user space ppp in the packages collection has predictor1 compression built
in, and I didnt see any shouting about that?

iain