Subject: Re: problem with three identical 3Com NICs
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Thomas Bohnert <bohnert@ccrle.nec.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/15/2003 19:14:00
Thanks for all your effort. I have an old Siemes Scenic 486 box at home which
i will install this evening and see whats happening.
The router is not for a productive purpose, it s only for my private
interessts on IPv6. So it is not a severe limitation to use an old maschine.
I only would be kind and spent the best ( remaining ) hardware for this ;-)

After plenty of installation errors with FreeBSD i am quite happy that i was
able to install this box so quickly.

Thomas

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 14:36, Lucio De Re wrote:
> *** Hm, got a silly error when sending this the first time, please
> *** forgive me if you receive two copies
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:57:48PM +0200, Thomas Bohnert wrote:
> > > IMHO you shouldn't even consider using an ISA ethernet card in a system
> > > that has a PCI bus.  The performance of the ISA bus is comparable to
> > > that of the ethernet network.
> > > Trying to use 3 cards will lead to packet loss.
> >
> > You think it is not possible to use 3 cards concurrent?
> > My motherboard is an old asus p1s55... with 3 isa and 4 pci slots. If i'm
> > not misstaken, i need pci NICs to set my router ?
>
> For a long time I had a single 486 with _no_ PCI bus running three
> NE2000s and two leased lines on the serial chips.  Only one network
> was really active, the other two were connected to routers fed from
> 64kbps WAN links.
>
> The machine was running NetBSD 1.3.x (I think) with IPF (thanks,
> Darren) to do the most horrendous degree of firewalling and network
> address translation.  It never complained.
>
> I since upgraded it to slightly better hardware with a single D-Link
> 4-port 10/100 cards and the behaviour is indistinguishable.
>
> I seem to recall the "firewall" had as little as 16Meg of RAM.
>
> ++L

Thomas Bohnert,
e-mail: thomas.bohnert@ccrle.nec.de