Subject: Re: problem with three identical 3Com NICs
To: Thomas Bohnert <bohnert@ccrle.nec.de>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/15/2003 10:19:37
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:05:01AM +0200, Thomas Bohnert wrote:

> i try to install three identical 3Com NICs on an old Pentium I. After booting,
> the kernel recognizes the cards, but is not able to manage them. The error
> maessage is something like:
>
> ep0 on address ... and irq 10
> ep1 on address same than ep0 and irq 10, can't map io space!!

Presumably these are ISA cards?  Not even PnP?

> So i am not able to use the cards. After i remove 2 cards, lefting one, this
> one is working fine.
>
> Does anybody know this problem, and hopefully its solution too?

If you don't have the software to manage the cards, download it
from the 3COM.COM site.  You'll need to adjust the card settings
to be distinct for each card.  Compare the options in the configuration
software with what the kernel config can provide (almost anything,
really, the 3COM cards are quite sensible in that they can be
queried for the configuration settings).

++L