Subject: Re: Ethernet card suggestions
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/12/2003 20:40:39
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:02:57PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone recommend some good ethernet cards for me? I need a few 4
> port 10/100 ethernet cards which will work fine in an interrupt starved
> (ie, x86)  system, and a low cost, yet hopefully low overhead, gigabit
> ethernet card or two.
>
> For instance, does someone know which of a Netgear (GA302T) or Intel (Pro
> 1000/MT) is faster / generates less overhead?

As 4-port adapters, avoid at all cost the dlink 580. I couldn't get
it working properly at 100Mbs, the PCI-PCI bridge on this board just
can't get datas out of the adapter quick enouth (or the buffer on the
chip is too small - it's only 2k, so it can't get more than one
full packet). They are usable at 10Mbs though.
As others have said, the Intel Gig-e adapters are good. I'm using the
mono and dual port versions.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>