Subject: Re: NetBSD & router metrics
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/04/2003 22:46:26
On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:19:43PM -0800, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> One frustration I have is the lack of tools (so far as I have been
> able to find) that will tell me what the instantaneous bandwidth
> consumption is through each interface, e.g. similar to what the Cisco
> "show interface" command shows. I know that we collect byte & packet
> counts per interface, so it should be a simple set of changes to
> netstat or systat to show bytes/sec or packets/sec measured over some
> interval (or since boot, since we do have the data...), plus error
> rates.

I assume by this you mean the 5 minute input/output rates?  I've
often thought that they'd be useful, especially if one could
tweak the sample interval (say 1min, 5min, 15min).  I usually
wind up using "netstat -b 1" which effectively reveals
the one second rate for the past second.  :)
It's useful but a little _too_ "instantaneous".

> Is this useful enough to the community at large that I should dive
> into either (or both) of those programs and write the code?

I know I'd certainly use them.

+j
--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz