Subject: NetBSD & router metrics
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/04/2003 22:19:43
I'm using an Alpha PC164 with two Adaptec ANA-62044 quad 10/100
Ethernet interfaces as a router. A fine little box, so far.

One frustration I have is the lack of tools (so far as I have been
able to find) that will tell me what the instantaneous bandwidth
consumption is through each interface, e.g. similar to what the Cisco
"show interface" command shows. I know that we collect byte & packet
counts per interface, so it should be a simple set of changes to
netstat or systat to show bytes/sec or packets/sec measured over some
interval (or since boot, since we do have the data...), plus error
rates.

Is this useful enough to the community at large that I should dive
into either (or both) of those programs and write the code?

	surveying,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>