Subject: mbuf chain oddity
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/27/2003 00:17:17
In the process of tracking down a curious behavior tonight, I
noticed that someone is building some rather wasteful mbuf chains.

The mbuf chain pulled off an interface's queue in this case had 19
mbufs in the chain, the last 16 of which were with m_len == 0 and
were marked with m_flags == M_EXT|M_CLUSTER.  The case I was looking
at was a file copy from local filesystem to an NFS mount with
bog-standard options (mount host:/path /path ; cp /my/path/to/local
/path/to/remote ).

So the questions become, who's eating these mbufs, why, and does it
really matter?

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/