Subject: Multiple parallel routes [was Re: illegal network routes ...]
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/20/2003 01:15:02
> Speaking of *interesting* problems, it is an interesting problem that
> in NetBSD you CANNOT have multiple distinct routes with the same
> destination.

Yes, indeed it is.  I've thought about this a bit now and then, so far
to no concrete end - indeed, there was one time when I was chatting
with an ISP I know and thought I might end up with a consultancy gig to
do such a thing.  I'm not sure whether it's better to permit multiple
routes to a destination or to allow a route to have multiple
destinations, and in the latter case I'm not sure how much of the state
to associate with the route and how much with the destination.
(Indeed, I suspect that implementing the former would be most easily
done by doing the latter but associating approximately all state with
the destination rather than the route.)

Perhaps once I finish this round of "sync source trees and do a test
build on all arches I have" and release a new patch tree I'll have a
look at that.  (I would just start from where I am, but I'm close to
having a completely synced state - only the VAX and the 68k ports
remain to complete their builds....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign