Subject: Routing issue (no route to default host)
To: None <>
From: Anthony Lieuallen <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/13/2003 06:43:20
I started this topic in netbsd-help, and I apologize if this is not the
correct area to ask this question, but no one there was able to provide
me with a working solution.

Situation is the cable modem service here.  All that is available is a
"one-way" cable modem (asynchronus, cable downlink, analog phone modem
uplink), and the strange way the cable modem's hardware seems to
operate.  It assigns me a public address of, while the
default router is at .  In short, I am never able to add a
route to that address, as there is no route to the 10.x.x.x subnet.  As
I posted to netbsd-help, I was able to solve this problem in linux
(using the floppy disk based LRP) by issuing the command "ip route add dev eth0" prior to attempting to designate that as the
default router.  I have been unable to locate an equivalent command for

So as of now I am working off a linux router, without the services I
had been using at my college apartment for over a year I was used to,
including using this junky webmail service instead of my own email
server ;-)  I have to reboot that machine to test out commands in
NetBSD as well as cutting the entire house off from the internet so I
sometimes wait a bit, but if anyone has any idea how to solve this
problem I would much appreciate anything you could offer.

Do you Yahoo!?