Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
From: Julian Coleman <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 19:31:11
> > Back to the original issue, there is no problem using locally
> > administered MAC address for a 2nd card in a sun box.
> ...except convincing the driver to use it.

> Until relatively recently (roughly, until they started using commodity
> PCI NICs), Sun NICs didn't have addresses in eproms. Sun _machines_,
> not _interfaces_, had MAC addresses - which is where I started this
> subthread off.

The HME code in sys/dev/pci/if_hme_pci.c fetches the local MAC address if
HME_USE_LOCAL_MAC_ADDRESS is not 0 and newer Sun's have the eeprom property
local-mac-address?.  I don't think it would take much to integrate the two.
I guess that the PCI and SBUS HME and QFE cards have a local MAC address.
Do any others?

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD