Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 12:07:31
> true, it does want to speak in ethernet datagrams.  ideally one could
> proxy this, but i've decided (after thinking for a few minutes) that
> that's a rather large problem.

There was, once, a few years back, a job for which I considered doing a
virtual Ethernet interface - a set of pseudo-interfaces which looked
just like network drivers, except that instead of talking to hardware,
they talked to other instances of the driver, like multiple interfaces
on the same medium.  (It was for a somewhat similar application:
software that expected to talk to an Ethernet interface running on a
host that didn't really have a spare Ethernet for it to talk to.)

We ended up addressing the original desire another way.  But perhaps
something of the sort would be the Right Answer here.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign