Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 11:40:59
> Back to the original issue, there is no problem using locally
> administered MAC address for a 2nd card in a sun box.

...except convincing the driver to use it.

Or does -current have some uniform way to do that now?  As of
ifconfig.8 1.53 (the most current I have at ready hand), I don't see
any option for it - perhaps it's not in ifconfig.

> The standard says that all addresses with 0x2 set in the first byte
> (the bit next to the multicast bit) are locally administered.  As
> such they shouldn't appear on a card's eprom.

Until relatively recently (roughly, until they started using commodity
PCI NICs), Sun NICs didn't have addresses in eproms. Sun _machines_,
not _interfaces_, had MAC addresses - which is where I started this
subthread off.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign