Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 11:55:55
--bjuZg6miEcdLYP6q

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 10:10:00PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> This is to solve a problem with simh: it uses bpf writes to send packets,
> which makes it impossible to send packets to the local machine.
> With this change (and a fix to simh) I can NFS mount from a NetBSD/vax in simh
> a partition of the NetBSD/i386 hosting it.

You know... somehow I feel the right solution to this would be a two-ended
loopback interface instead of hacking some Ethernet interface. Sort of a
network device version of socketpair().

Even better (in terms of work to invest): Teach simh (does it simulate
the network interface in software?) use /dev/tun and connect the
hosting OS to tun0. But I guess this won't work because simh wants to
talk to layer 2 .

Regards,
	Ignatios

--bjuZg6miEcdLYP6q