Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/19/2003 14:32:13
>> Hum, reading the sources I can't see how adding a second NIC would
>> help.  Maybe it's hardware-dependant ? Does ifconfig have the
>> SIMPLEX flag for the ethernet you use with simh ?

> If the second nic is dedicated to the sim, and you don't configure an
> IP address on it, then it all works fine (the packets will go out to
> the Ethernet switch and back again to the other interface on the
> system :-)

Except if you're on something like a Sun which uses the same MAC
address for all interfaces, in which case the poor switch will get
Terribly Confused.  (And if you don't have a switch, what happens?  I'm
not sure what NetBSD does if it sees its own MAC address coming from
what looks like another host; I've never tried it....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign