Subject: Re: IP and netmask problem
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Tomasz_Barczy=F1ski?= <tbarczynski@poczta.onet.pl>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/19/2003 16:45:19
On the distinguished day of Jan 17, Tomasz Barczynski wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new with NetBSD. I am trying to build internet router for my home
> network. I have got network parameters from my ISP:
>
> IP address:    a.b.c.102
> netmask:        255.255.255.224
> gateway:        a.b.c.86
> primary DNS:    a.b.c.6
>
> Gatway and DNS are out of local network, so it do not work. But these
> parameters work with Windows very well! Why?
>
> Can I do anything to get these work with NetBSD?

Sounds like neither your ISP nor Windows understand netmasks very well..

You can probably just cheat and use a netmask of 255.255.255.192; that will
put your gateway and your IP in the same subnet.  Having a reachable
gateway should solve your DNS problem.

-bp
--
# Software Engineer

Thank you for answers.
I have changed netmask to 255.255.255.192. Now I can ping my gate a.b.c.86,
but can not ping my dns. This is same with Windows. My nslookup shows that
DNS works correctly.
I can not ping anything else behind my gate, which differs from Windows - I
can ping ex. ftp.netbsd.org.
I can also use ftp and telnet. I can not check www, becouse I did not
install any browser (only basic installation using 130Mb HD).
I have started NAT with standard configurations showed in HOWTO. My home
computer - behind my router (192.168.228.101) - can ping router and gate
(a.b.c.86) but nothing else.

What can I do now to make it work properly? I thing my NAT works OK and
problem is with right conecting the router to the internet.

Tom