Subject: Re: resolver library thread safety
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/18/2003 09:13:22
	Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> said:

>      in addition to res_*, we need to make:
> 	- *hostent thread safe,
> 	- *servent thread safe, and
> 	- all NIS lookups thread safe.

Yes. We should do this eventually.

> 	redoing it all by ourselves does not look feasible, or even remotely
> 	possible.

How using bind8 hostent/servent/NIS functions helps this?

It seems those functions in bind8/bind9 library aren't really
thread safe. For example, gethostbyname_r() in bind9 library calls
gethostbyname() internally (without any mutex). :-O
It seems other hostent/servent/NIS functions in bind9 library aren't
thread safe, either.

So, I don't see any reason that we have to use the irs functions
provided in bind library.
--
soda