Subject: Re: setting power for wi(4)
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/06/2003 11:48:23
At 8:17 AM +0100 1/2/03, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>In our country we have a regulation dictating that a wireless device
>like this shall look from any direction like an isotropic source of
>radiation with total power not exceeding ... (some value that I don't
>remember; 100 mW maybe?) so if we focus the output by means of a
>parabollic antenna, we must lower the power accordingly.

I'm not up on regulations, but if the restriction is on EIRP (as it
sounds) then  once you get to an antenna that requires you to reduce
your output you have nothing to gain by using a better antenna.

In other words I think this only makes sense if 1) you don't have
enough power though your standard antenna to reach the regulatory
limit, or 2) you don't actually intend to adhere strictly to the
regulation, or 3) you have some nearby interference which the
regulations don't prevent (like bluetooth, or a cordless phone).

I'm not an expert, but I hope you're not barking up the wrong tree here.