Subject: Re: deprecate wiconfig flags
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@ojctech.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/13/2002 14:50:37
That leaves

  -a access point density
  -o print out statistics counters
  -s set station name for Lucent WaveMANAGER software
  -M enable/disable "microwave oven robustness"
  -R enable/disable roaming function
  -D scan once for access points

which belong in wiconfig because they are not "generic" to NICs/802.11
NICs.

That also leaves

  -d maximum data length
  -m set MAC address
  -r set RTS/CTS threshold

which *are* generics.

  max data length -- if it is functionally equivalent to MTU, it can go.
                     If it is an 802.11 parameter, IMO it belongs in
                     ifconfig.

  RTS/CTS threshold -- is an 802.11 parameter; IMO it belongs in ifconfig.

  set MAC address -- belongs in ifconfig; ifconfig wi0 ether \
                     xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, anyone?

Dave

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:33:24PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >I propose to deprecate these wiconfig flags:
> >Objections?
>
> okay, admittedly i'm being lazy, but what will that leave?
>
> --
> |-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
> codewarrior@daemon.org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet
> twofsonet@graffiti.com (Andrew Brown)                that goes *ping*!"