Subject: Re: Updating arp(8) to use getifaddrs (cf. bin/8566)
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/07/2002 10:34:45
>-> using SIOCGIFCONF is like implementing des.  sure it's tedious (with
>-> all those one and two bit rotates, and the "random" bit swapping) but
>-> you can do it, and once you've done it, you can do it again easily.
>
>True, OTOH, like DES, there probably isn't much of a point to each
>program that needs to use SIOCGIFCONF to implement all the tedium
>and drugery itself, if for no other reason than avoiding duplication
>of code.  's why we have libdes, to use your example 8-)

that's very true, and i smiled at myself as i wrote it.  ;-)

my point was that people should stop complaining that "writing code to
use SIOCGIFCONF is hard".  it's not hard at all; it's just a bit
tedious.  you just need to know how to use it.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."