Subject: Re: Ethernet, MII & PHY, round two
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/27/2002 18:27:51
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:08:55AM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> ... or if you're feeling ambitious, maybe combination of these:
> to resolve multiple matches, select the first matching instance
> that has link, or if none of them has link, then select the first
> matching instance.

I'm not sure it is that easy. In case of autoconf you'll probably have
to select the PHY instance at ifconfig time. I have SMC epic100, or quad-port
Dlink 580TX which needs seconds to have autonegotiation to complete,
and the autonegotiation starts only at ifconfig up time.

Using the first instance matching, instead of the last one will probably be
good enouth (it has worked for 99% of the cases for now).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>