Subject: Re: IP perfs slower with 1.6 ?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/23/2002 23:25:44
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:21:02PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:00:47PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > so today I upgraded ftp.fr.netbsd.org from 1.5.2+ to 1.6. Back home I tried
> > ftp'ing from it. I used to max my DSL bandwith, and dowmload from here
> > at about 61KB/s. Now I seem to be limited to something like 55KB/s.
>
> I did some more tests, using ttcp to avoid ftpd or buffer cache issues.
> >From a PIII/800 running a 1.6_BETA4 kernel I get less than 54KB/s though
> my ADSL link. From another PIII/800 running 1.5, I get between 60 and 61KB/s.
> Both hosts on the same LAN segment, both use a tulip adapter (and the tlp
> driver).

After seeing Nicolas Saurbier's mail on netbsd-help
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/10/21/0003.html
about the TCP packet sizes and the default's route MTU, I tried a
route change default xxxx -mtu 1500 on the 1.6 source host. I get the
full speed again.
Changing the MTU on the target host doesn't change anything.

I guess the default MTU for a route entry should be the one of the interface
it goes though, isn't it ? It looks like something is broken here ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>