Subject: ex driver & newer 3Com mini-pci 556B chipsets
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Dinesh Nambisan <dinesh@kataname.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/22/2002 10:16:02
Hello All,
 Not sure who maintains the ex driver: I saw this problem
with NetBSD 1.6 on my laptop when I installed a new 3Com mini-pci
card; the problem being that the newer versions of
the chipset require some magic bits to be turned on during initialization
without which the link light never turns on (or media never gets detected).
I discovered that this problem was already found and patched on Linux,
and requested someone who kindly committed the patch on FreeBSD as
well. Would sure be nice if this gets into NetBSD as well. Refer to
the cvs entries on the FreeBSD respository below for the diffs..
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_xl.c
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h

Thanks,
Dinesh Nambisan