Subject: Slightly off-topic, was: IPsec vs. OSX
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/19/2002 18:20:50
At 2:24 AM +0000 10/19/02, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
>On the iBook, I put the setkey(8) commands and racoon(8) startup in a
>script in my home directory, and I run that from a shell.  I don't
>know how to get things to start up automatically, and I don't really
>care enough to figure it out.

1)  Put your startup script into SysV init.d form (takes start/stop
arguments).  (Actually this is optional since they only ever do the
start run.)

2)  Put it in /Library/StartupItems/Racoon/Racoon  (Directory and
script name must match.)

3)  Create /Library/StartupItems/Racoon/StartupParameters.plist
containing something like:

{
   Description     = "Racoon";
   Provides        = ("Racoon");
   Requires        = ("Network");
   OrderPreference = "None";
   Messages =
   {
     start = "Starting Racoon";
     stop  = "Stopping Racoon";
   };
}

You may want to make the description more descriptive.  You may want
to list more dependencies in the "Requires" clause, like "Resolver",
or some lower-level IPV6 capability.  The Apple supplied stuff goes
in /System/Library/StartupItems, while your additions go in
/Library/StartupItems so you don't have to worry about getting
stomped in an update.

This information comes with no warranty, I've never tried Racoon, and
I may be totally out to lunch, but I did do this to get lpd and
Arla-AFS auto-starting on 10.0 and 10.1 so it just might work.  Maybe.