Subject: Re: Time to deprecate wiconfig?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@ojctech.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/30/2002 13:35:59
In 802.11 ad hoc mode, one thing that wiconfig can do that ifconfig
cannot is to let you set a different SSID to join than to create.

Also, wiconfig lets you set the MAC. Does ifconfig permit that? I did
not think it did.

Wiconfig lets you set the access point density. This affects how bad
the signal quality can get before a STA will probe for a new AP.

Wiconfig will set the RTS threshold. I do not know if this is an
802.11-standard parameter, but if it is, it belongs in ifconfig, also.
The maximum data length is also set by wiconfig. Possibly that is an
802.11-standard parameter.

Wiconfig lets you turn the "firmware roaming function" on and off. I do
not know precisely what that function is, but I will find out.

Besides AP scans and statistics, I think all the rest of wiconfig is
deprecated.

Dave

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:00:18AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> Now that ifconfig can do basically all the things you need to do with
> 802.11 interfaces, I think we should deprecate wiconfig.  At the very
> least, we should identify which bits of wiconfig are not currently in
> ifconfig, and consider which ones are appropriate to move over.
>
> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

dyoung@ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933