Subject: My MTD driver
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: None <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/02/2002 13:32:43
Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie in kernel hacking, but since my networking card (MTD
803) isn't supported by NetBSD I decided to create my own driver.
I actually got quite far with the datasheet and of course the NetBSD
source for other drivers, but now I've stumbled across a few problems that
keep me from getting the driver finished.

Could someone please post (a link to an) explanation of how mbufs work,
because I'm completely mystified by what the other drivers are doing
here.
And how does bus_dmamem/bus_dmamap stuff work? I have downloaded a paper
by Jason R. Thorpe, which explains how this should be implemented, but
I still don't really grasp how I should use them.

Also, on a side note: I noticed that some drivers do a lot of things in
code, for which there are generic functions. For example, some drivers
calculate the CRC32 hash, but there's also a ether_crc32_?e function which
does exactly that (for example, sys/dev/ic/hme.c). Can this be considered
a bug?

Regards,
Peter Bex