Subject: Re: VLAN and the "real" interface vs accounting
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/27/2002 14:29:26
On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 04:22:34PM -0700, Michael Graff wrote:

> I have two vlans on my physical fxp0.  I see that netstat shows bytes
> coming into fxp0, but nothing going out.  The vlans are doing what
> appears to be correct accounting.
>
> I suspect the right thing to do is to move the output accounting for
> the physcial interface, so it will have accurate (aggregate) stats.
> This would make it harder to do untaged and tagged on the same
> interface, but is anyone routinely doing that?

I was using the native 802.1Q vlan for a long time, in addition to a
tagged one.  If we're going to claim to be 802.1Q compliant, I think we
need to make sure we keep native support "working as expected."

It almost sounds like we need to have physical interface counters, plus
native vlan counters, in additional to the 'vlan' interface counters.

-Andrew