Subject: Re: 802.11
To: None <mikep@core.ucsd.edu>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/27/2002 15:25:06
> 	Could y'all out there in 802.11-land please get in touch with me
> via return email?

Hmm, here is my TODO list, some of the item stay too long here, though.

	- make ieee80211subr.c more generalized.  some of the code
	  can be shared even among the drivers with comlex firmware,
	  such as wi, an.

	- also handle hostap in ieee80211subr.c, since AP should work
	  very similar with IBSS mode.

	- define parameters to be general in various 802.11 drivers,
	  and implement in ioctl and ifconfig.  We should consider
	  FreeBSD implmentation.

	- implement additional BPF interface to handle raw 802.11 packet.
	  it seems that we've already reached the consensus.  I have
	  some code fragment, but lack of hacking/testing time.

	- design 802.11i implementation.  I've once implement LEAP
	  for awi and an which are hardcoded in the driver, but we need
	  more general framework for various EAP methods, such as
	  EAP-TLS, PEAP, ...
	  Perhaps, these authentication should be done in application
	  level, just like dhcp, and should be shared with 802.1X over
	  ethernet.

	- try to investigate a way to handle complex firmware as a
	  dumb MAC just like awi.  if we can implement at least MAC
	  management frames in the kernel, we will share most of the
	  code among the wireless drivers.

Atsushi Onoe