Subject: 1.6_RC1 panic: ifmedia_set (nsphy0)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/13/2002 12:21:43
Hi,
I'm trying to install NetBSD/i386-1.6_RC1 (20020812 snapshot from
releng) on an "IBM PC Server 325".  When I boot off the install disks I
get (copied by hand):

pcn0 at pci1 dev5 function 0: AMD PCnet-PCI Ethernet
pcn0: Am79c971 PCnet-FAST rev 5
nsphy0 at pcn0 phy1: DP8384 10/100 media interface, rev. 1
nsphy0: no media present
ifmedia_set: no match for 0x20/0xffffffff

NetBSD 1.5.4_ALPHA works fine using the le0 driver:

le0 at pci1 dev 5 funct ion 0: PCnet-PCI Ethernet
le0: address 00:60:94:57:3b:b9
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
le0: interrupting at irq 14

There is an ethernet cable pluged into the card, and it is working fine
under 1.5 so I'm not sure why it thinks no media is present.
Unfortunantly, the ethernet is onboard so I can't simply swap it for
another card.

I'll start looking at the code now and see if I can come up with a patch
to work around the problem (and send-pr it).  However, I'm in a bit of a
rush (only have this week to finish a job), so if anyone has any
suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
	Rick