Subject: VIA Rhine II (D-Link DFE530TX) not autonegotiating (kern/16790)
To: None <>
From: Tyler Mitchell <>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/2002 22:35:50

I'm having some problems with this NIC autonegotiating to my Linksys
EtherFast 10/100 16-port Workgroup Switch.  I've added a bit to an
existing PR (kern/16790) but since nobody else has touched it since it was
submitted three months ago, I decided to ask here as well.

As I've mentioned in the PR, the card will work at a very slow speed,
until I issue the command "ifconfig vr0 media autoselect".  Once I do
this, the card works at a speed that I'd expect from a 100Mbit card.
Unfortunately, putting this ifconfig command in /etc/ifconfig.vr0 or
/etc/rc.local doesn't seem to make it work; a bit of traffic is required
before the card can successfully re-autonegotiate.

Also I have seen this card display "vr0: reset never completed!" when the
computer reboots (but never from a cold boot).  When it does this, the
card refuses to work at all, and usually it takes a poweroff and cold boot
to make it work properly again.

Has anyone else seen either of these two errors?  Any insights to these
problems would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler Mitchell

"Wherever you go, there you are."
      -- Douglas Adams