Subject: Re: no v4, slip this time - patches!
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/18/2002 11:56:27
--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:34:56AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > I guess you looked at an early draft of the V6 specs?
>=20
> RFC 1883.  I take it there's an update to it that I missed when looking
> for the proper RFC?

Yes, RFC 2460 obsoletes it:

Network Working Group                                         S. Deering
Request for Comments: 2460                                         Cisco
Obsoletes: 1883                                                R. Hinden
Category: Standards Track                                          Nokia
                                                           December 1998
[...]

5. Packet Size Issues

   IPv6 requires that every link in the internet have an MTU of 1280
   octets or greater.  On any link that cannot convey a 1280-octet
   packet in one piece, link-specific fragmentation and reassembly must
   be provided at a layer below IPv6.

Regards,
	-is

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms