Subject: Re: no v4, slip this time
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/17/2002 10:37:50
--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 04:52:28PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> It would be pretty much a no-brainer to extend SLIP to handle IPv6; it
> could even be done compatibly (in that the same line could handle v4
> and v6 intermixed).  I had a quick gander through the RFCs and didn't
> see anything; I conjecture that everyone who's wanted v6 has gone with
> PPP.  But PPP is unsatisfactory to me in various ways, which is why I'm
> using SLIP in the first place.

You're aware that SLIP has _no way_ to distinguish multiple L3 protocols?
Worse, as it has also no way to distinguish Van Jacobson - compressed TCP
from normal IP, so the first byte is used to do this decoding - with the
result that I doubt that the IP version half-byte is transmitted
transparently.=20

I might be wrong, so feel free to read specifications and find out yourself;
just wanted to point you to a potential source of problem.

Regards,
	-is

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--