Subject: Re: no v4?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/16/2002 03:38:40

mouse> So maybe you need to keep FamilyInternet and INETCONN, and use a
mouse> discriminated union instead of a simple in_addr to represent
mouse> FamilyInternet addresses?

Fortunately, I believe there is no such problem.  However, X stricts
the order of:

	socket() -> gethostbyname() -> connect() / bind()

then, SocketOpen() calls socket() and SocketINETConnect() calls the
rest.
To choose an address family by DNS query, a protocol family is not
determined until doing DNS query.  So, typical IPv6 application does:

	getaddrinfo() -> socket() -> connect() / bind()

I have no idea if it is okay to change to call socket() from
SocketINETConnect(), and SocketOpen() does nothing.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/