Subject: no v4?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/14/2002 11:49:14
I'm now finding myself with v6 but no v4 connectivity, and man, it's
amazing how many tools break.  Many of them are my own, some dating
back to when getting v4 address space was "what, just one class B?
here, take two, they're small" - back to before v6 was even thought of.

For the most part, they've all proven fairly fixable.  dnsquery was
about the hardest of the non-mine "small" tools (why it doesn't use the
libc resolver I cannot fathom).

The big one, though, is X.  There appears to be no FamilyInternet6 for
X.  I can of course invent one and hack in the relevant pieces myself,
but thought I'd ask here first in case there's already an effort
underway to carry X11 over tcp6 - I'd like, of course, to be
interoperable, if there's anything to interoperate with.  I did check
the xsrc area on ftp.netbsd.org, and the <X.h>s in xc/ and xfree/xc/
have just FamilyInternet, no FamilyInternet6.  Did I miss something?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign