Subject: Re: freebsd em driver
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/17/2002 20:49:36
Could you perhaps include actual performance figures (and of course
how you obtained them)? I'm always very interested in performance
comparisons, but plain statements like "it's on par with" or
"FreeBSD is faster" are hard to verify, or indeed makes it
hard to fix if there is a problem there.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:31:50AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> Myself, I just want a driver that runs at (or near) wire speed on some
> of the current-generation (under US$100 and trending down) boards.

Wire speed is Hard to obtain still. Numbers vary greatly, especially
with gig-e over copper. If you're doing 50-60 MB/sec over IP, userspace
to userspace, and using normal framesizes, you're doing alright.
That's still only half the wire speed. If you want to go higher,
you'll need jumbo frames, and a faster/wider PCI bus.

> (I'm about ready to port Bill Paul's bge driver.)

I have already done this, but I want to clean up a few things
before committing it, which should happen later this week. If you
want to test it before then, I can send you a tarball.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/