Subject: Re: traceroute max ttl uplift
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/20/2002 21:45:41
Robert Elz wrote:

> ps: by all means make the default TTL for traceroute bigger, though I'm
> not sure I'd go all the way to 255 (the -m option is always there for
> those cases where the TTL runs out and the destination hasn't yet been
> reached, and there's not been any loop either).

I think a sane answer is in the description of the -m option to
traceroute:

       -m     Set  the max time-to-live (max number of hops) used
	      in outgoing probe packets.  The default is 30  hops
	      (the same default used for TCP connections).

Note the text in the second set of parentheses.  So change traceroute
to use net.inet.ip.ttl, and change the wording in the manpage to say:

	The default is the value of the net.inet.ip.ttl sysctl (which
	defaults to 64 but is tunable by the superuser).

or similar.

Isn't this what Darren originally proposed (or similar to what he
proposed)?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/