Subject: Re: traceroute max ttl uplift
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/20/2002 10:02:08
On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 10:11:45PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >I don't want to change the behaviour of traceroute (as this suggests),
> >only its defaults.  Behavioural changes like that are more likely to
> >have some sort of ripple effect god knows where.
>
> ...like traceroute not bothering to actually reach the target due to
> too many hops in between dropping packets for some reason.

IIRC traceroute stops when it receives a 'port unreachable' resonse
from the intended target.
Maybe it should send out the udp packet with a TTL of 255 first.
If it gets a port unreachable response then it can increase the TTL
from one until that happens again, if it doesn't get one then
stopping after a number of non-replies.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk