Subject: traceroute max ttl uplift
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/19/2002 20:33:32
It would seem that the Internet's diameter has increased to a point where
traceroute no longer makes it from .au to cvs.netbsd.org.  This seems to
indicate, to me, that we need to up its default maxttl in order for it to
be useful, by default.  I'd like to change the default maxttl from 30 to
64 (this matches the kernel default ttl too).  Apart from causing longer
reports when packets go in circles, can anyone see a reason not to bump
this up ?  If I had time to hack on it, I might even go so far as to make
it use net.inet.ip.ttl by default - it sort of makes sense for traceroute
to be aligned with the kernel.  Hmmm, after writing that, should I just
do that with traceroute anyway ?

Darren