Subject: FQDN with dhclient?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: IvanK. <chepati@yahoo.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/10/2002 16:17:41
Hi all,

this is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm running 1.5.2 as a router on my home network that is connected to the
internet through roardrunner's cable modem service.

I have registered my own domain, and through a dynaming DNS service set that
domain to point to my dynamic IP address.  I can connect to my computer from
outside using host.my.domain.  However, when I connect from my computer to
outside servers, my domain is being reported as my-ip-address.nyc.rr.com.

Using dhclient I added these three lines in /etc/dhclient.conf:

send fqdn.fqdn "host.my.domain.";
send fqdn.encoded off;
send fqdn.server-update on;

hoping to "force" my domain name upon my ISP's DNS server.  However, this
doesn't have the desired effect.

Am I making sense?  Is there a way to make reverse lookups return my
domainname rather than the one my ISP assigns?

Thanks,
IvanK.