Subject: Forcing IP source address?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/2002 21:06:00
Here's my situation:

I have a NetBSD-1.5.2 machine acting as a router.  The network setup looks
approximately like this:

Ethernet LAN (A real class C subnet)

NetBSD router

Ethernet DMZ network (10.255.255.0/24)

Cisco 1605

T-1 line to the internet

The setup works great, with one exception -- the router can't make outgoing
network connections.  Any connections from the router to the outside world
have a source address in the 10.255.255.0/24 range, since that's the
interface they're routed through.  Incoming connections from the internet
work fine.

The IP address assigned to the same machine's internal interface is real and
routable, and if I could convince outgoing connections to use it as a
source, I think everything would work fine.

Is there a way to do this on NetBSD-1.5.2?

I've found a couple of discussions about potential solutions to similar
problems in the mailing list archives, but I didn't see anything concrete.

Thanks,
-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                  monroe@criticalpath.com